What is fish oil ?
Fish oil is an outstanding source of omega-3 fatty acid. The important things in omega acids are DHA, which is docosahexaenoic acid and EPA, which is eicosapentaenoic acid.
The rich fish for getting omega-3, DHA and EPA are salmon, sardines, flaxseeds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds.
Benefits of fish oil
- Support heart health: Supplements of fish oil are beneficial in supporting heart health like it increases good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol and it also reduces blood pressure. As per a research it shows that fish oil helps in reducing abnormal heart beats also known as fatal arrhythmias
- Supports brain health: Omega-3 fatty acid is beneficial in improving memory and it also prevents brain aging because of its protecting property
- Skin health: Skin is the third largest organ in our body and it may introduce various types of disease in old age, so consumption of fish oil decreases the risk of skin disease including dermatitis
- Reduce inflammation: Omega-3 oil has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing serious illness, diabetes, joint pains. As per a study fish oil is also helpful in reducing rheumatoid arthritis.
- Reduces symptoms of asthma: As it has anti-inflammatory properties it helps in relaxing respiratory airways which manages asthma symptoms. As per various studies it has found that omega-3 helps in decreasing risk in childrens by 24-30%
Other benefits of omega-3 are:
- Improves bone health
- Improve symptoms of depression
- Reduce liver fat
- Supports eye health
- Aid weight loss
Precautions to be taken in mind while using this ingredient
- People having weak immune systems should not consume excess omega-3 capsules as it may lower immune health.
- Individuals having liver disease should not consume these as it increase the risk of internal liver bleeding
- Womens who are at their pregnancy stage should not consume swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish as they contains high level of mercury which is harmful
Research and clinical studies:
- Fish and Fish Oil Intake in Relation to Risk of Asthma: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- Omega‐3 fatty acid supplementation in schizophrenic patients
- The effects of fish oil supplementation in pregnancy on breast milk fatty acid composition over the course of lactation: a randomized controlled trial
- Lowered omega3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in serum phospholipids and cholesteryl esters of depressed patients