What is Punica Granatum (Pomegranate)?
Pomegranate is a sweet, tart fruit with thick, red skin. They are native to the Middle East and some Asian countries, but they can also be produced in the United States. The majority of it is grown in California.
The seeds of Punica granatum have supernatural health benefits, especially for elders. It consists of various nutrients like fiber, protein, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and potassium. Pomegranate juice and peel are rich in ellagitannin punicalagin and punicalin which are rich in high antioxidant activity.
Health Benefits of Punica Granatum
- Promotes Heart Health: Punica Granatum protects Heart Health as it helps in lowering blood pressure and reducing blood sugar levels. A study published by National Center for Biotechnology Information shows that pomegranate has anti heterogenic and antihypertensive properties which help in reducing blood pressure and discourage fat deposition.
- Antioxidative properties: Antioxidants present in it protects body cells from damage and also helps in reducing inflammation & aging effects in the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: It may also fight arthritis and joint pain due to the anti-inflammatory effects in their plant compound if taken regularly.
- Relief in Kidney Stone problem: As per the research published in the international journal of molecular Science consumption of Punica Granatum provides relief in kidney stones
The numerous benefits of Punica granatum like:
- Reduces cancer risk
- Bone Strengthening
- Protection against bacteria’s
- Improve hair loss caused by anemia
- Helps in improving memory
- Useful against breast cancer
- Hydrate Skin
Precautions while taking Punica granatum are
- Consumption of Punica granatum should be stopped before 2 weeks of any surgery as it may interfere with your blood pressure.
- People who have allergies to plants might get infected from it.
- People who have low blood pressure problems should not consume this as it can decrease more blood pressure.
Research & Clinical Studies-
- Punica granatum (Pomegranate) activity in health promotion and cancer prevention
- Medicinal Uses of Punica Granatum And Its Health Benefits
- Medicinal Uses Of Punica Granatum And Its Health Benefits
- Vasculoprotective Effects of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) | Pharmacology
- Pomegranate extract alleviates disease activity and some blood biomarkers of inflammation and oxidative stress in Rheumatoid Arthritis patients
- Effects of pomegranate juice consumption on myocardial perfusion in patients with coronary heart disease
- Pomegranate juice consumption reduces oxidative stress, atherogenic modifications to LDL, and platelet aggregation: studies in humans and in atherosclerotic apolipoprotein E–deficient mice
- Potent health effects of pomegranate