What is Tinospora Cordifolia (Guduchi)?
Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi) is a shrub which has heart shaped leaves that is native to India. Its roots, stems, and leaves are used in Ayurvedic medicine.
It is also known as Gilo, Giloe, Giloy, Gulvel, Gurcha, and Heart-Leaved Moonseed. We can also say that guduchi is a herb which helps us to boost our immune system. As per shlokas, guduchi is a very important herb.
Health Benefits of Tinospora Cordifolia (Giloy):
- Works as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory: Giloy contains many different chemicals that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Supports Immunity: Giloy supports increasing the activity of the body’s immune system. Guduchi consists of magnoflorine which is a chemical constituent that helps to activate immunity-boosting cells.
- Increase platelets: Giloy consists of phytochemical constituents which help bone marrow to increase platelets in one’s body.
- Improves digestion: Tinospora cordifolia (giloy) consists of a property that helps us to improve digestion-related problems.
Some of the other benefits of tinospora cordifolia are:
- Reduces chronic fever
- Controls high cholesterol
- Purifies the blood
- Manages liver injury caused by overdose of alcohol
Precautions to be taken in mind while consuming this ingredient
- Consumption of tinospora cordifolia should be stopped 2 weeks before surgery as it may interfere in your blood sugar.
- If you are suffering from autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis then you should not consume tinospora cordifolia as it makes your immune system active and may cause severe problems.
- Stop taking tinospora cordifolia during pregnancy and breastfeeding because of very less information available.
- Use tinospora cordifolia with a prescription from a doctor if you are having any allergy.
Research and Clinical Studies:
- Using Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) as an eco-friendly feed supplement in human and poultry nutrition
- Medicinal and Beneficial Health Applications of Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi): A Miraculous Herb Countering Various Diseases/Disorders and its Immunomodulatory Effects
- Tinospora cordifolia: One plant, many roles
- Tinospora cordifolia: ethnobotany, phytopharmacology and phytochemistry aspects | INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES AND RESEARCH