What is Zingiber Officinale (Ginger)?
Ginger is a flowering plant that originated in Southeast Asia. It’s among the healthiest and most delicious spices on the planet. It belongs to the Zingiberaceae family, and it’s closely related to turmeric, cardamom, and galangal. The scientific name for ginger is Zingiber Officinale, which is thought to come from the Sanskrit name for the spice (singabera).
It is rich in bioactive components and nutrients. It has a yellowish-green flower with leafy stems. It is also known as Rhizoma Zingiberi, Rhizoma Zingiberis, Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens, Kankyo, Kanshokyo, and with various other names
Health benefits of Zingiber Officinale (Ginger)
- Help with osteoarthritis: Zingiber Officinale reduces pain and inflammation because of its analgesic properties. As per a report of Osteoarthritis Society International ginger shows reduction in pain also.
- Reduction of menstrual pain: Consumption of Zingiber Officinale in the first 3-4 days of the menstrual cycle helps to decrease pain because of its antispasmodic and analgesic properties.
- Obesity: It improves metabolism and reduces Ama which helps in controlling obesity because of its appetizer and digestive properties.
- Reduces hypertension ( high blood pressure ): It consists of antioxidant and hypotensive properties which reduces hypertension. It also helps to protect the blood vessels.
Other benefits of this marvellous ingredients are:
- Protect Alzhimer’s disease
- Fight infections
- Manage morning sickness
- Prevent vomiting and nausea
Caution to be taken in mind while using this ingredient
- Do not consume excessive amounts of this extract as it may cause severe heart problems.
- Try to avoid this extract before any surgery as it may cause blood clotting.
- If you are suffering from any bleeding disorder then this extract might give some negative results on ones body
- If you are allergic to herbs of Zingiberaceae family then consultation of doctor is highly advisable
Research and clinical studies:
- Zingiber officinale Rosc. essential oil, a review on its composition and bioactivity | Clinical Phytoscience
- A review of the gastroprotective effects of ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe)
- Beneficial effects of ginger Zingiber officinale Roscoe on obesity and metabolic syndrome: a review
- Protective and therapeutic potential of ginger (Zingiber officinale) extract and -gingerol in cancer: A comprehensive review